Electric vehicle charging
There are a number of charging points available at the University, both for private electric vehicles and University fleet vehicles
Staff holding a valid permit can charge their private electric vehicle in the Amenities Building car park at Old Road Campus. Use of these Electric Vehicle Charge Points (EVCP) is restricted to the University of Oxford employees and their authorised visitors/contractors. To park in an EV space, you MUST either have a valid University of Oxford Parking Permit (to which the EV has been registered) or the EV has been entered onto the Visitors' database by the department for the relevant day. Failure to do so will result in enforcement action being taken.
There are spaces for eight cars to be charged at 7kWh on level P0A and for two cars in possession of a blue badge permit on level P1A. The units are operated by bp pulse.
To access the EVCP, you will need to have either:
- a bp pulse paid monthly subscription (you can then either use an RFID card if you have one, or the bp pulse app on your phone). This requires pre-registration.
- a bp pulse instant access account (you can then use the bp pulse app on your phone for a pay as you go service). This has a slightly higher cost per kWh consumed but no monthly charge.
To charge via the bp pulse app:
- Install the bp pulse app and create an account. You will need to provide payment card details.
- Top up your account with at least £5.
- Connect your EV charging cable to your car and the EVCP.
- Note the small number on the display of the port. This can be found on the charger located below the card reader. (see image)
- View the map in the app and find the point with that number. Note that the markers are not accurately placed on the map;
- You can then start and terminate the charge at your convenience using the bp pulse app.
Please note that the tariffs are set by bp pulse. If the units are not working or require further assistance, please contact the bp pulse 24-hour customer support line on 0330 016 5126 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Charging points for University electric fleet vehicles are available at:
- Wellington Square has 4 vehicles (7kWh); contact the Facilities Helpdesk for details.
- Andrew Wiles Building, ROQ – capacity for three vehicles (20kWh); contact the Facilities Helpdesk for details.
- Old Road Campus has four vehicles (7kWh); contact the Facilities Helpdesk for details.
- 1 South Parks Road – capacity for one vehicle (20kWh) for use by the Direct Labour Organisation.
- 13 Banbury Road – capacity for two vehicles (7kWh) for use by IT Services.
- Mansfield Road – capacity for 1 vehicle (7kWh) for use by the Department of Chemistry.
- Holywell House, Osney Mead - capacity to charge 2 vehicles at 7kWh
If you are a departmental administrator, you can apply for 50% match funding from the Green Travel Fund to supply and install Electric Vehicle Charging Points (EVCPs) for operational fleet vehicles.
Sustainable Travel team
+44 (0) 1865 6 14605
+44 (0) 1865 2 70087
Opening hours: Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm, excluding bank holidays and University closure days